Zakopane is one of the best known and most visited town in the Tatras - Poland`s only alpine-type mountains. It is regarded as
the winter capital where most of the winter sports event are held. Every year the Ski Jumping World Cup takes place on the ski
jump "Wielka Krokiew". Zakopane is also an excellent staging area for trekking in the Tatra Mountains along the numerous trails
which lead to mountain lakes, valleys, waterfalls and caves. The most beautiful panorama of the Tatras is seen from the Gubalowka
hill, easily accessible by cable car. Zakopane has preserved its regional wooden architecture and highlanders’ customs, cuisine
and handicraft which are characteristic for the whole Podhale region.
The recommended highlights are as follows:
- Willa Koliba, the first of several wooden villas designed by Witkiewicz in his “Zakopane Style”. The museum is a must for architecture fans, particularly admirers of the Arts and Crafts movement which swept through the US and Britain at the turn of the 20th century.
- Prime examples of the Zakopane Style in wooden architecture - the Villa Pod Jedlami built in 1897 and Jaszczurowka Chapel considered Witkiewicz’s greatest achievement. It was built in 1907 and the folk interior alone is worth the trip.
- A cable car to Kasprowy Wierch Mountain to the viewing spot with a view of the High Tatras. On the top there is also the highest placed restaurant in Poland – elevation 1985 meters.
- The emerald-green lake Morskie Oko (Eye of the Sea), about 12km south-east of Zakopane, is a popular day trip.
- Chocholowska Valley tour - the longest valley on the Polish side of the Tatra Mountains – 15 km. It was a favourite hiking place for Polish Pope – John Paul II. At its end, Chocholowska Valley divides itself to 3 smaller valleys.
- Koscieliska Valley - the second longest valley on the Polish side of the Tatra Mountains with the length of 9km. It is one of the most beautiful valleys which is easily accessible for everyone. Its characteristic is a big number of caves and other unique rock forms.
- One of the most beautiful route down the Dunajec river passes through the fantastic mountain gorges in Pieniny National Park worth recommending for spectacular views and contact with nature.